Monday, 2 June 2008

Guido Reni paintings

Guido Reni paintings
George Inness paintings
George Frederick Watts paintings
Guercino paintings
He followed her into the narrow passage. His spirits, which had dropped at her last words, rose with an irrational leap. The homely little house stood there, its panels and brasses shining in the firelight, as if magically created to receive them. A big bed of embers still gleamed in the kitchen chimney, under an iron pot hung from an ancient crane. Rush-bottomed arm-chairs faced each other across the tiled hearth, and rows of Delft plates stood on shelves against the walls. Archer stooped over and threw a log upon the embers.
Madame Olenska, dropping her cloak, sat down in one of the chairs. Archer leaned against the chimney and looked at her.
``You're laughing now; but when you wrote me you were unhappy,'' he said.
``Yes.'' She paused. ``But I can't feel unhappy when you're here.''
``I sha'n't be here long,'' he rejoined, his lips stiffening with the effort to say just so much and no more.
``No; I know. But I'm improvident: I live in the moment when I'm happy.''

No comments: