Thursday, 4 September 2008

Venice Twilight

Venice TwilightThe Judgement of ParisTwo Sisters (On the Terrace)
"Ink eradicator," he scoffed. "How'd you ever get past all those locks, George?"
I dashed impatiently to the barred door of the Visitation Room, resolved to find a doctor myself if Stoker would not send one. Inside I saw my mother, accompanied as always by Anastasia. But whether because this last lock was different from the others or because Stoker's question made me realize that I had no idea how I'd got where I was, I found myself unable to pass through.
"Help me, man!" I demanded. "Were those other doors unlocked?"
Stoker winked and replied lightly, "No door's locked if you've got the key." He found the correct one on his ring. "Stop fidgeting: my wife knows what to do until the doctor comes."
I had forgot My Ladyship was a nurse. Gravely she greeted me, coolly Stoker, who reported the news and solicited her aid in a manner so full ofdears andpleases that I thought he mocked her. But her reply was frosty and overbearing -- "Don't just stand there while the fool dies; get him up here!" -- and Stoker hastened so to oblige her, I could only conclude that their relations really had changed character. She took charge of the

No comments: