Thursday, 9 October 2008

Rembrandt Susanna and the Elders painting

Rembrandt Susanna and the Elders paintingRembrandt History Painting paintingJean Auguste Dominique Ingres Perseus and Andromeda painting
Yes I did, too,” he would say, “I remember. It was only day before yesterday.”
And again there would be snickering, but the questioner looked even more serious and kind, and one or two of the boys next to him looked equally serious, and he would say, “No, honest. Honest, it couldn’t have been me. I don’t know your name.”
And one of the other boys would say, very reasonably, “Gee, he wouldn’t ast you if he knowed it already, would he?”
And Rufus would say, “Aw, you’re just trying to tease me. You all know my name.”
And one of the other boys would say, “I’ve forgot it. I knew it but I’ve plumb forgot it. I’d tell him if I could but I just can’t remember it.”
And he too would look very sincere. And the first questioner would say, almost pleading, and very kind-looking, “Come on, tell us your name. Maybe you told it to him but he don’t remember. If he could remember he’d tell me, now wouldn’t he? Wouldn’t you tell me?”
“Sure I’d tell you if I could remember it. Wisht you’d tell it to me again.”

No comments: